Thursday, April 19, 2007

I have Bradycardia

This week we had our yearly employee physicals at work. I found out that I have Bradycardia! Part of the physical was an EKG, which is a continuous strip graph of the electrical voltage in the heart. Part of the test is measuring my resting heart rate.

Average men my age have resting heart rates of 70-75. With training, athletes can bring their resting heart rates down in to the 50's. A chart for typical ranges is here.

This year I've been very good about exercise and was looking forward to my EKG. The results were better than I expected. I had a resting heart rate of 36! I must have some good genetics mixed in with the good training.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

Holy cow, that's insane. How do you stay... not dead?

9:24 PM  
Blogger Jason and Melissa said...

If you were my patient in the ICU I would have a vial of atropine (a drug to raise your HR) in the room. What was your blood pressure w/ that rate?

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home