Monday, May 31, 2010

Diet: Week 1

Week 1 was pretty dramatic.


My observations include:
  • First three days were tough as my body adjusted to ketosis - burning fat for fuel instead of carbohydradtes. I felt fatigued and hungry often.
  • The body retains a lot more water weight on high carb diets so most of the weight loss was water
  • In days 4-7 I experienced no hunger or fatigue
  • I'm targeting ~150 g/day of protein. Too much protein is hard on the kidney and can get converted into other things. Suggested protein ranges vary, but for athletic and active males my size I do not believe 150 g/day is excessive.
  • I'm learning a lot about the make-up of foods as I go. Sometimes I don't look up the nutrition information prior to eating. I ate broccoli on day 1 only to be surprised later by the amount of carbs it contained. I ate quite a bit of chicken on day 7 and was surprised by the amount of protein.
  • I had a full physical on day 8 and blood drawn on day 9. Results to follow.
  • By the end of the first week my cravings for sweets dropped dramatically. I can attribute some of that to the fact that my mind knows I'm in this for a full year.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home