Monday, February 11, 2008

Winter Cottage Weekend

We sure know how to pick our winter boys weekends. Last year our winter weekend was one of the biggest blizzards I've ever been in. This year it was heavy snow and sub-zero temperatures. We stayed "warm" in the cottage much of the time and had a lot of fun just hanging out.

On Saturday we ventured out before the real weather hit. Actually, it was around 30 degrees and the snow was pretty good packing snow. We walked to the far side of Kimball Lake where a creek enters the lake and there is a bridge over the creek. Jason decided it would be cool to make a mini snowman and push into the creek pirate-style.

It wasn't cool...but it gave us a much bigger idea. A BIG snowman that would really splash. So all 5 of us started on our own snow ball. Soon we had a lot more than anticipated. The first three sections were heavy but manageable.

We had to build snow steps next to the snowman to add sections 4 and 5.

Finally we had our monster, which we should have named but we killed it before we realized we had nothing to call it. It was definately male, however, as you can see by the mustache.

Group shots naturally followed with our 10-foot-tall monster:



Our outdoor activities continued with the very nerdy hobby of GEOCACHING. With 3 engineers, an accountant, and a pharmacist we fit the bill Basically people all over the world create a small treasure map using their GPS devices. People hide something wherever they want, and use geocaching.com to post the GPS coordinates and a clue for others to find. You'd be suprised how many locations there are. I can basically garuntee there are at least 10 geocaches within 10 miles of where you are right now, and probably 1 within walking distance.

We used my GPS watch to get close to the location and the clue to actually find the treasure.

Our first ever Geocache! But we forgot a pen...so we couldn't document our finding on the log. We were about the 25th finder of this geocache since May and we added a golf tee to the collection of trinkets collecting at the cache (standard procedure for finding a cache is to add a little nick nack to it).

Some more pictures of Pickerel Lake in the winter.
Indoors we played many hours of settlers, nerts, carcassone, and poker.
Also, I cooked some great Aldi burgers on the grill. The ground beef was advertised as 73% beef. As it turns out, the other 27% was gasoline.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

What happened to extreme skiing? I'm disappointed.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Slicy said...

Holy Crap that looked like a level of awesomeness that I wish I could some day obtain. What a riot!

I'm jealous.

Your snowman looked almost feline in nature, thus, I suggest the postmortem name of Meouchie, the dead killer snow-cat.

-RB

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home